August 16, 2007

How To Write A Resume, a new guide.

Mahalo, a different kind of search engine with people moderated results, has posted a how-to on writing a resume. Lots of good stuff there. Particularly the example of how not to make a video resume.

I would make one recommendation opposite of the guide however. Don't include an 'Objective' section on your resume (see my previous post). That information goes in your cover letter.

The recipient of your resume already knows you're interested in the position, to state so again is redundant. Instead, use that space to sell yourself with a 'Summary' that highlights the specific skillset needed for the position you're applying to and how you're the perfect candidate.

Tags: , , ,

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hi,

I put together the How to Write a Resume page for Mahalo, and I'm glad you liked it (except for those pesky objective statements!).

I also have a page on How to Write a Cover Letter:
http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_Write_a_Cover_Letter

Please let me know what you think!
Mahalo,
Sara